Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Irish Soda Bread


This week we are making Irish Soda Bread which can be found on page 214 in Baking with Julia.   I decided to make this bread on St. Patrick’s Day as I planned on cooking up a batch of homemade Vegetable Beef Soup and needed something else to go with it.  I also decided to make half the recipe as both I and my husband can’t really eat all this by ourselves.  

Reading through the recipe, I just knew it would be super easy to make.  And it was!  This recipe only requires about 5 minute’s prep time and very little effort.  How many recipes do that!
I did not buy buttermilk as I had my old standby in the refrigerator.  I always keep SACO Cultured Buttermilk Blend on hand for recipes that call for it.  Buttermilk can be hard to find in the grocery store and I usually need a lot less than the quart size you must purchase.  This is a great alternative as it lets you make only what you need. It is very similar to nonfat dry milk.  Here is a picture of the container for reference.


 Once I had the dough mixed, it was quick to shape the loaf and get it in a stoneware pan.  I used a small round one and it fit perfectly.  I slashed the top as described in the recipe and placed it in my oven.  




Because I only make half a loaf, I needed to adjust my cooking time.  I set the timer on my over for 30 minutes just to be safe. If I needed a little more time, it would be easy to add. If you bake it too long, well we all know what happens then!  When the timer went off, I checked on the bread and decided it needed a little longer as it was not quite brown enough for me.  I added another 10 minutes and it was done.  



My husband loved this and it was so moist.  I had a small piece leftover for two days and it still tasted just a good.  I’m not sure why Julia said it would be as hard as a blarney stone because I did not experience that at all.   This recipe is truly a keeper and in the future I will try to be creative and add some additional surprises.  I like the idea of raisins for a sweeter loaf and also the cheese and herbs for a more savory experience.  



Happy Baking!
Karen

2 comments:

  1. I used the same powdered buttermilk in mine, as well! My mom brought me back a canister from the states and I had no idea what to use it for, but when this recipe came up I was tickled to have it :) Worked great, much better than buying a big carton of the stuff and letting it go slowly bad in the fridge :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always keep a tub of that in my fridge :-) They should sell buttermilk in pint sizes like they do with heavy cream.
    Looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete